What is it?

A Personal Budget is when the places that support you work out how much money they are spending on your support.

For example, they might look at how much it costs to pay for someone to give you extra support at college or someone to help you with speaking and communicating.

You can use a Personal Budget in different ways.

Sometimes your parents, the local authority, your school or college can look after your Personal Budget for you. The local authority is sometimes called ‘the council’. They decide how to spend the money for your support.

Sometimes you can get the money yourself and work out how you want to spend it on your support.

You will get a plan to say what support you need. You must only use the money for the things in the plan.


Who can have a Personal Budget?

If you:

   -  have special educational needs. This is when people need some extra help with learning things.
   -  you are aged between 16 and 25 years old


   -  you are getting an Education, Health and Care plan
   -  then you can ask for a Personal Budget.


You do not have to have one. It is up to you.


You or your parents can ask for a Personal Budget when your Education, Health and Care plan is being written or is under review, which means it is being checked.

Sometimes the people who run the local authority or the health services will say no. They have to tell you why they cannot give you a Personal Budget.

If you need help understanding Personal Budgets, you can talk to your local Information, Advice and Support Service.

For a printable version of the Factsheet please view the attached document

We have made all reasonable efforts to ensure that the information contained in this leaflet is accurate and up to date at the time of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and the SEND Partnership Service cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of any reliance placed upon it.